UNIMAID was bombed because of ‘ungodly’ acts - Shekau says in new audio
- A recording has emerged online purportedly of Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau confirming that his Islamist insurgent group was behind the attack on a university in Borno state capital Maiduguri on Monday, January 16
- Shekau claimed in the recording which was uploaded to YouTube that UNIMAID was attacked because of its ‘ungodly’ activities even though he did not state what they were
- The authenticity of the audio could not be immediately confirmed but NAIJ.com team is trying to reach the Nigerian Army for comment on the audio recording
- President Muhammadu Buhari has strongly condemned the attack which left four dead, including a professor
- In the past, Shekau does not usually swiftly react to bomb attacks by his suicide bombers, especially within 24 hours of the attack
Elusive leader of Boko Haram insurgents Abubakar Shekau has reportedly reacted to the early morning attack on the University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) on Monday, January 16.
Shekau gave the reason for the terror attack on UNIMAID which claimed around four lives, including that of a professor and the two suicide bombers, in an audio tape released on YouTube.
READ ALSO: Reno Omokri hails Buhari for swift reaction to Maiduguri bombing
According to the report, Shekau said the attack was retaliation to UNIMAID’s ‘ungodly’ activities.
Shekau was quoted as saying in the recording: “The bomb that happened this morning, it’s my people. Don’t deceive people that it’s a mosque, how would you build a mosque and do ungodly things in it.
“We are not angry with Nigeria. You didn’t kill anyone in Sambisa. We are praying that we don’t change; Koran is our teacher; this is the message we are sending to you. Are you [Buhari] as powerful as God?
READ ALSO: UNIMAID bomb blast: 6 things you need to know about the event
“You should know it’s Shekau talking and I’m alive and it’s we that did it, even if King Pharaoh repents, we will not accept it.”
The authenticity of the recording could not independently confirmed as at press time.
NAIJ.com team is also trying to reach the Nigerian Army for comments on the recording allegedly made by Shekau.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) carried out a counter operation against Boko Haram terrorists in their new hideout.
According to a statement by the air force, the day and night operation was in response to an attack on military troops on Thursday, January 12.